This weekend looked like it was going to be a hat-trick of sporting glory....
1. England would beat Russia in the football and qualify for the Euro 2008 championship with a game to spare. I'll do a post later this week about the England team and all that....called 'Why England will win Euro 2008'
2. The England Rugby Team would win in the World Cup final, against the favourites South Africa.
3. Lewis Hamilton would cap off a fine season by clinching the Formula 1 championship. All he needed to do was come 1st or second.
Well, what happened?
1. England was 1-0 ahead, and after four minutes of madness, Russia were in the lead, and won the match. Now England's qualifying hopes are hanging by a thread, basically hoping that results go their way, if Russia fail to win in Israel or Croatia fail to beat Macedonia (probably never going to happen), then England will need to beat Croatia to qualify. But it is very possible that by then, England would be out, and everyone will be asking for the manager to be sacked. Tsk Tsk.
2. Hey, it was always a long shot, wasn't it? Well, England gave it their best shot, and went down gallanty......6-15 to the mighty Springbok.
3. Now this one was painful. A pretty bad start, and a careless mistake, and he found himself in 8th place. Then, even worse, a dodgy gearbox dropped him into 18th place !! The dream was over. But he battled on, and ended up in a remarkable 7th place, sadly outside the points. If he had come 6th, he would be world champion right now. Fortunately, that IDIOT a.k.a Fernando Alonso, who has been acting like a real spoilt brat didn't win it, the outsider Kimi Raikkonen won the race, and with it the world champsionship. Lewis Hamilton will be bitterly dissapointed, but he should not despair, he's had a REMARKABLE season, he will be champion one day, I'm sure of it. And Alonso will end up driving a lorry across the continent................................
So, England failed to win on all three fronts. So, so sad........
STOP PRESS : Edit at 23:22 (21-10-07)
Hamilton may yet be crowned World Champion.The cars of BMW Sauber and Williams are being investigated for alleged irregularites with the cars' fuel. Williams's Nico Rosberg was fourth in the race, followed by BMW Sauber's Robert Kubica and Nick Heidfeld.
If they are disqualified, Lewis Hamilton would be promoted to fourth, giving him enough points to displace Raikkonen as world champion. So we might be waking up to good news tomorrow morning. YAY !!
EDIT : 09:15 (22-10-07)
They met for six hours and then decided to do nothing. Spineless. Mclaren is going to appeal, but I doubt it will make a difference. The next race is in 22 weeks. GAME ON !!